Monday, October 1, 2012

ALC 12: Why I ride?



I have chronic severe pain and fatigue, mobility issues, neuropathy, asthma, type II diabetes (diet control still) battle with seizures even though they have been pretty non existant  for a bit, and now the onset of demetia and this does not include my mental health issues.  When i got home the end of July after 3 months of travels with my health deteriorating during the trip, by some miracle my health started to turn around as I had more energy and strength than I have had in a long time. So I decided to seize hold of this energy and strength and got a gym membership to work on overcoming my health obstacles and get rid of the can'ts in my life and try to improve the quality of my life. Since i was training at the gym I decided if I can do this I am going to do something greater for me and my health. I am going to train for the AIDS Lifecycle.


Why am I riding and training for the AIDS Lifecycle? First and foremost, and it may come off selfish however the truth is I am riding for myself.  I spent the last few years serving and volunteering for everyone else except for the person that matter the most at the time and that was myself. I allowed my health to deteriorate while i wanted to live and put a face on HIV I was unable to take care of my health or me as in the ways needed or truthfully did not realize i was taking care of myself. I've taken a year off of major volunteer commitments focusing deeper on my health, sobriety, physical and mental well being and really living. I ride as a first year ALC rider and first year positive pedaler in tribute of myself, my life, and all I have overcome and for the person I am becoming. I ride because I am HIV+ and to show others that life does not end when the become positive it ends when you give up and I am the type of person who doesn't like to be told i can't to something or that my goals are unrealistic.  I have spent my life reaching for the stars and I am not only going to ride the 545 miles in ALC 12 from San Francisco to Los Angeles in June I am already planning on riding cross country for charity and myself as well.
 

Even those this year this ride is dedicated to myself for my first ride, I am part of something greater than me at the same time. I am also riding for those unable to ride for many reasons. I am riding for those who have passed on and are no longer here with us because of HIV/AIDS. I ride for those who have been effected and affected by HIV/AIDS in hope to bring a better quality of life to those the money I raise along with the money my ALC and Posped Family raises to provide the services these people need that are funded by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbain Center. I am riding for LIFE.

I am riding because I AM A SURVIVOR!!!!!

Please Donate to my ride for ALC 12 monthly or one time gift options available. please donate via link ask me to mail you or email you a form for your credit card to mail in or send a check to

AIDS/LifeCycle
Dept 34745
P.O Box 39000
San Francisco, CA 94139

on check mark it: Katerina du Lac 2984

www.tofighthiv.org/goto/kdulac











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment an/or question. it make take time to respond due to traveling abroad 2017.

katerina