Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Demonica- Working on Set with Family

I love being a filmmaker, and I love having the ability to wear multiple hats in the industry.  When "Demonica" presented its self, I was more than happy to jump at the opportunity to work on this feature indie film.  Not only did I had the privilege of knowing the Director Jason Bolinger personally as well as the other members of team by reputation, this was an opportunity to work with my cousin on the set.  I adore my cousin who is currently 15 and is a gift in my life.  She is very talented and I love her artistic abilities.  I can not tell you how excited i was to share my world with her.  While I do wear many hats in the industry and overzealous for the love of what I do, when it it comes to wearing the Script Supervisor/Continuity hat my awkward social and personal interactions and personality becomes more awkward, unintentionally offensive, or misunderstood especially when narrow minded and focused on work.  As a Script/Continuity Supervisor my filmmaking OCD and anal retentiveness kicks in more than any other hat I wear in the industry. Working on an 80's period film, or any period film for that matter makes continuity issues all that more important.  I cannot watch a movie at movie theater without picking it apart as continuity issues really throw a film out of enjoyment for me.



So last weekend while filming on location the bedroom scene in Oskaloosa. I inadvertently offended my cousin Amanda Zombie Pratt, after she worked hard on a poster for the film one in which I actually loved.  After bringing it to the director's, Insane Mike Saunders attention first I informed him that we could not use the poster as it featured currency with its modern day look versus the way it looked back in the 80's. As Script supervisor I have been overly attentive since it is an 80's film making sure that everything is period pieces.  I brought it to Mandy's attention and while I told her i loved we just could not use it due to the new money designs. And in translation to a 15 year old it means their hard work especially as it was the best of all the posters she did that We did not like it.  Mandy also was helping with makeup and the actresses were asking how their makeup was after Mandy did it, as I have the experience as they put it. Mandy did a great job and that hurt her as she thought people did not like her makeup.  We just had to make it darker because we were on camera for lighting issues. Unfortunately even when run by director because felt her work wasn't appreciated she dropped out. The other part is and was and I take responsibility for it is that she thought I was bossing her around too much, actually asking her to do too much.  While I did not ask her to do more than anyone else I asked of on set as we were short crew and I was informed on a Prescribed Films set that everyone does everything when on set when we are not busy, its difficult for someone new to understand that and what a role of production assistant is. Even when I am hurting , very muck lacking sleep or sick I always ask can you, and please and thank you to everyone. I learned a long time ago to be hyper aware how you treat talent and crew as i go out of my way to make sure they have what they need.

The great thing about being a script supervisor is that you are responsible for the film;  your notes and attentiveness is what the director and editors rely on in order to make a quality film and. save money.  it is department of 1 however and that makes things hectic and keeps you glued to the set without the down time as the rest of cast and crew has opportunity for because our downtime is out time to play catch up with notes and paperwork.  Again as a one department person I nned to know makeup, hair, wardrobe and set continuity.  I have to know it all.  I have to pay attention to light if its day or night. how pillow were thrown and every little thing of the film  at every moment between each shot, when we shoot sceenes out of order or multiple days so I am in focus mode.   For me its filmmaking period so I as a Scripty  have to e on toop of everything and sometimes trying to keep things on schedules time and shooting.  There are times I am squeezed tightly in one spot and cant movie in order to stay out of shot and everything where i have to have someone bring me things.  For all intensive purposes Scripty doesn't move. n9t even to use restroom unless there is a company break.

Its is very sad not by her fault or excuse, but as the excuse given that she doesn't want to work on the film now because she feels I boss her around too much when in all actuality especially during the shooting part I have very little reaction most talent and crew when I am Scripty mode, except when i am calling for makeup to be flown in for re-powdering of the face so its not shining on my monitor, as well as drinks for them.  I was so looking forward to working with Mandy as we both share the passion of Demons, Monsters, and Zombies not being turned into the Demon myself and taken as if i was the bullying for doing my job even when i ran everything through the director myself.  I even suggested a few positions to the production team as I thought she would be perfect for working them.  This is a chance of a lifetime working of film sets, the long hours, the film family, the fun times and adventure, and knowing that you worked on something great.  Am I bothered by the whole situation, yes I am. Can i do anything about it no as she won't change her mind. I need to move forward now not because i don't care but because i have to focus and not be distracted for day 3 shooting

My film making question to filmmakers is how do you work with family members on a film set without offending them, or them feeling like you are bossing them around especially if they are new to the film making process?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment an/or question. it make take time to respond due to traveling abroad 2017.

katerina