Saturday, June 16, 2012

Demonica Shooting #1

We are filming Day 5 by actual days however with the long hours we are on day 7 shot list wise as we .  Prescribed Films "Demonica"  is and interesting set full of quirks, mickey mouse and jimmy rigged quality steady cam and camera accessories.  We  have been pulling long hours averaging 14 hour days plus hour round trip for commute to set.  It is nice to be filming with a 4pm call time with a mandatory wrap time by 11p, versus our normal 9pm call time with a average wrap of 10-1030am.  My script  supervisor job is pretty easy.  While being digital, I am using an excel to capture shots without using Scriptee Program, however I not using the script to mark up.  I've learn very quick each production, each director does things different and as a film maker regardless of job one just needs to be able to be flexible and adapt.  After this movie I need to definitely to brush up on my traditional Script Supervisor skills to get back into practice and conformity that other productions use. 

This film has really taught me or better yet is teaching me to go with the flow and it is not easy. As a low budget no budget film you would think from the makeup, special effects, and the acting  that we were working on a pretty decent budget film.   I am not particular to night shoots but you need to film when you can and be available when needed.

I love watching the interaction of the actors and the life they bring to a camera via  the monitor and staged. The rain really made the shoot today for this particular scene as it is the introduction to evil.  Today's scene takes place in 1962 at an old rustic tavern.  The location could not be more perfect, while a bit small it was workable and accomplished what was needed.   This is the opening scene that sets the tone for the movie.  It was and hot day, the rain made it cool outside, but inside on set in the small space we are filming in due to the heat of the day and set lights, it is sweltering sauna, and raining  bullets upon talent and crew.   Heat doesn’t play well with neuropathy, but I 'm hanging in there, even though its challenging.  Like with all sets there is a lot of receptiveness, however  on this set we keep it fun interesting.  One of the highlights of journey into Prescribed Films, an alternate universe to the Twilight Zone, is in the note section of the slate we put off the wall one liners instead of serious slate notes as the rely on me as Scriptee to keep actual notes. 

Shooting has been wonderful at our previous locations as well; the skating rink in Oskaloosa, Hotel Ottumwa (one of the most haunted places in Iowa) in Ottumwa,  and independent house for bedroom scene.

At the skating rink 2nd day on location I tried skating, while I did not fall down I was a wall stopper keep the wall up.  There is a reason I haven't skated in 20 years, there is also a big difference between skates and roller blades and ice skates; however, neither I want to do it again.  Its interesting how, and commendable where one scene had nudity last week in the script that no actress wanted to do the role unless a compromised was made for at least keeping the bra on for simulated male and female sex scene.  We had to find an actress who would do that scene and a couple actresses for a girl on girl kissing scene.  

People don’t realize how sensitive boom is and ever little sound even outside is finely picked up during filming and even more so during room tone.  It is a joy to work with this cast as crew and I look forward to the weekend of filming , with that said I detest the night shoots however its worth it and is the art of filming that allows me treasure such shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment an/or question. it make take time to respond due to traveling abroad 2017.

katerina